Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The First Days/Daze

**This blog is not representative of the opinions of the US Department of State or COMEXUS.**

Folks.... folks.... folks.....
Let me just say that a couple more times because my brain is still trying to process the last 35 hours. 
Folks.... folks... folks.... folks.... folks.... folks...folks... folks.... folks.... folks.... folks...folks... folks.... folks.... folks.... folks...
nope still not processed.


Welcome to Mexico.

Despite my fiercely inflamed conscience, I got on American Airlines flight 393 at 8:03 Monday morning. My Mom and Dad, sister Leah, best friend Chelsea, and a Starbucks pumpkin loaf (haha, loaf) sent me off with multiple rounds of hugs but, amazingly, no tears.
However, one look at this heartwrenching photo just might tug a couple salty drops outta your little ol' ducts:

Awwww Daddy

I met up with a couple other Fulbrighters in Dallas, one of whom had four majors in college (four!!!! I have two, but they're both humanities, so that's like having zero), and another who was an intern for the Department of Homeland Security.
For someone whose greatest accomplishment is writing a song about the political persuasions of different breeds of cats, it was an intimidating moment. 

Fortunately, the grandeur of the expansive blue sky was enough to quench my massive inferiority complex. Unfortunately, this is not true... still a cool picture, tho

The flight from Dallas to Mexico City was only two and a half hours. When I knew we were well into Mexican airspace, I started looking for the capital city. We passed over many towns and cities during the flight, and I kept asking myself, "Is that Mexico City? No, it's too small. What about that one? No, still too small."
Mexico City is the twelfth largest city in the world, boasting a population of some 20 million people* (see end of post for sources). I kind of figured I would be able to see it from the air.
And.... when you're looking and looking and you finally see it...

there's no mistaking it.



These pictures don't get CLOSE to doing Mexico City ANY SORT of justice. It's.... MILES of city. It's all you can see from the plane window. And keep in mind, from thirty thousand feet in the air you can see A LOT.

(For comparison's sake, San Francisco, California has about 6 million residents*.... Mexico City is more than THREE TIMES larger than San Francisco.)

Airplane journal entry

When my small group of Fulbright buddies and I arrived at the hotel where we had reservations (the Hotel Krystal Grand Reforma Uno!), I had to double-check to make sure that I had not suddenly transformed into an international ambassador in a three-piece suit, and that I was indeed getting out of an Uber and not a stretch limo.





This is my first time in a five-star hotel. I feel like every time I turn around something in my room has been cleaned or replaced with a fresh version of itself. If I keep taking and hiding the little shampoos, I might be able to stock up and not have to buy any for my whole nine months.

Anyway, I'm getting super tired so I'm probably going to hunker down in this massive, cushiony bed, fluff my soft and plump pillows, and settle in for a crummy night's sleep before another 8 hours of orientation tomorrow.

Au revoir.



Sources:
*http://www.worldatlas.com/citypops.htm, retrieved Aug 23, 2016

2 comments: